Phnom Penh: ASEAN Human Rights Declaration Adopted.
The ASEAN Leaders signed on Phnom Penh Statement on the Adoption of the ASEAN Human Rights Declaration following the Plenary Session of the 21st ASEAN Summit held here this morning at the Peace Palace.
On the occasion, H.E. Surin Pitsuwan said it is a major development for the ASEAN Member States. This declaration will help promote and protect the regional human rights in the ASEAN way, he underlined.
At a recent press conference, H.E. Hor Namhong, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation of Cambodia said there are a lot of comments from the civil societies on the ASEAN Human Rights Declaration. “It is not the NGOs’ or civil societies’ declaration, but the ASEAN’s declaration to boost for effective human rights protection,” he stressed.
The Cambodian League for the Promotion and Defense of Human Rights (Licadho) expressed regret over an ASEAN Human Rights Declaration adopted by ASEAN leaders.
“We leaders of civil society organizations in Cambodia and the region are expressing concern with the declaration that has been passed,” Licadho president Pung Chhiv Gech said.
“The declaration lacks discussion with civil society in the region to make it good enough for human rights issues.”
“However, regional civil society leaders will continue to talk about a lot of key elements and be included in the declaration when it is able to be amended.
“If there is no amendment, the future human rights declaration will be weak, not good, and dissatisfy regional nations.”
- ASEAN Human Rights Declaration Adopted. (Khamerlogue)
- Licadho expresses regret over ASEAN human rights declaration. (The Cambodian Herald).
- Whose morality in ASEAN anyway: Strike out “public morality” from the ASEAN Human Rights Declaration.
- UN expresses concern as ASEAN considers its first human rights declaration (jurist.org)
- ASEAN human rights declaration faces int’l opposition (english.kyodonews.jp)
- [Statement] JOINT STATEMENT OF the 2nd ASEAN Civil Society Conference/ ASEAN People Forum (ACSC/APF) 2012 Phnom Penh, 16 November 2012 (hronlineph.com)